Macintosh Plus! (Performa) | Forum

advertisement
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Jul 9
Coming soon to the Performa Workshop, a Macintosh Plus!

Just won the auction on eBay a few hours ago for this Macintosh Plus 1MB (Model M0001A) computer with the pictured trimmings from a seller in sunny Texas. Fingers crossed it makes it's way up to Badgerland in one piece.

Despite the warnings of the 8-Bit Guy against these as hobby computers, based mostly around their integrated CRT video system, proprietary boards, bad caps, and limited software, I really love the looks of this thing, and I think it'll make a good companion to my SE/30 I've already got- which will help justify all the software and hardware support I keep buying for it too.

With any luck, I'll be able to clean it up and get it running for a video, and then have a great showcase piece for the shelf after that. Updates to follow!

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Jul 9
The Wikipedia article for this system can be found HERE.
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Jul 9
The 8-Bit Guys videos on both the Macintosh Plus and Macintosh SE can be found below:

Macintosh Plus

Macintosh SE

The systems are closely related, so a lot of the information crosses over from one to the other. 

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Jul 11
This is gonna be good!

Jasper
Jasper Jul 12
/music plays
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Jul 14

Quote from Jasper /music plays

It's going to play alright. I've got video to edit.

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Jul 15

It has been a good day. 
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Jul 15
First impressions of the system- very good! It's a tad more noisy than the SE/30 is, and I've no disks yet to boot it (they're still in the mail as of this writing.) but as the seller described, it boots right up. (Screen catch there is a frame rate issue on the camera interfering with the refresh rate of the CRT- that catch there is invisible while looking at it.)

It's got some minor cosmetic damage, but it's headed towards 40 years old so I suppose that's to be expected. The "hard part" of one of these is of course the keyboard- it uses a proprietary "phone jack" style cable that plugs into the front of the machine- Apple only used these on 3 systems before phasing them out, and the nature of the plugs makes them inherently very fragile- the one I have is missing a tab on one end but it should be fixable. The track ball mouse is crazy weird and uses the serial port to connect, but it's functional and pretty smooth overall- it might need a little peroxide dip, but not much beyond that to be good as new. The whole thing was kinda dusty and dirty, though I suspect this thing was stored somewhere kinda nice as it wasn't "grimy" or anything like that.

I haven't opened it up yet. I figure I'll see if it boots with a disk first before I leap in totally blind, but at a glance the system looks to be in pretty good shape. It'll need a new backup battery, an upgrade to some sort of solid state emulated memory to take the floppy and dead hard drive out of the equation, and lots of peroxide to change it back from yellow to gray. If you look on the keyboard, you can see a little of the something closer to the original color on the right side- I assume where some sort of hand rest or cover must have been to block most of the UV light. Once that's done, it's other minor blemishes will really fade to nothing- I think this thing will be a show-stopper yet! 

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Aug 2
Last week I had the Macintosh Plus set up side by side with the SE/30, and while the SE/30 still boots to it's disk drive, the Mac Plus has a new issue in that it won't take a floppy disk. Hmm. Still planning to move to solid state anyway, so not a big deal.

Apologies for the black bars on the screens. My shutter speed was on automatic, and it caught the refresh rate on both of them.

The Forum post is edited by Maklarr4000 Aug 2
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Sep 25
So, with a boot disk, I am able to boot the Mac Plus! That's the good news.

The bad news, it won't spit the disk back out. Ever.

As taking it apart is a pain to say the least, I'm now working out a plan to fix the disk drive. It's clear it's working, but for some reason the eject mechanism can't or won't move the disk up and eject it. But, I'm very happy that the system works- as far as I can tell, it's got no issues in regards to caps or anything else like that, which is superb.

advertisement