Apple IIc Project (Performa) | Forum

advertisement
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Sep 25 '19
I've got a line on an Apple IIC computer in "meh" condition (complete, but no means for the seller to test), and I'm keen to take on yet more work now that the TI-99/4A is up and running good again.

More info as I have it!

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Sep 25 '19
The 8-Bit Guy talks about his unit HERE for those unfamiliar with the Apple IIC system. It's a very interesting machine in terms of both function and design.
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Oct 5 '19
Quick update, I did get it!

I do not have a power supply with this one (yet) but it's an old Apple, so I expect it'll fire right up once I get the right voltages into it.

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Oct 5 '19
The guy I bought it from offered me the monitor too, though the tube itself is busted, likely beyond all repair.

Ultimately I grabbed it more for the stand- it's designed to pair with the IIc and can hold a couple different monitor types- it is a sturdy piece of metal. Funny thing, the seller and I had both joked about how the stand didn't cost $1000 when it was new either. 

I'm on the fence with this one. Ideally, I'm thinking if I can gut the existing electronics out of it, then get some sort of smaller flat screen monitor (from a portable DVD player maybe) that could fit okay- and then the monitor could serve any number of my old machines, not just the IIc. The hull on the monitor is still in good shape, and while it'll never work as an original again, it'll certainly look the part if it's adapted over to something else- just seems far too nice to just throw away.

Finally, excuse the mess- I don't have a "work space" to speak of set up just yet. 

Jasper
Jasper Oct 8 '19
Quote from Maklarr4000 The guy I bought it from offered me the monitor too, though the tube itself is busted, likely beyond all repair.

Ultimately I grabbed it more for the stand- it's designed to pair with the IIc and can hold a couple different monitor types- it is a sturdy piece of metal. Funny thing, the seller and I had both joked about how the stand didn't cost $1000 when it was new either. 

I'm on the fence with this one. Ideally, I'm thinking if I can gut the existing electronics out of it, then get some sort of smaller flat screen monitor (from a portable DVD player maybe) that could fit okay- and then the monitor could serve any number of my old machines, not just the IIc. The hull on the monitor is still in good shape, and while it'll never work as an original again, it'll certainly look the part if it's adapted over to something else- just seems far too nice to just throw away.

Finally, excuse the mess- I don't have a "work space" to speak of set up just yet. 

Smash it lol
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Oct 8 '19

Quote from Jasper
Quote from Maklarr4000 The guy I bought it from offered me the monitor too, though the tube itself is busted, likely beyond all repair.

Smash it lol

But it's so pretty. 

Jasper
Jasper Oct 13 '19
Lol
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Dec 6 '19
Okay, so after much ado, I'm bumping this thread as I have ordered an aftermarket charger! Woohoo!

It's monitor is in storage until I figure out what to do with it, as I'm still undecided, so I'll be using the usual monitor with it for the time being. Once I've ascertained that it's working, it'll be time to start looking for more software for it, and then we can have some fun with it!

After that, it'll be restoration time! I'll keep you posted!

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Apr 24
Today is the 36th anniversary of the Apple IIc's launch, so it seemed fitting to tackle this one for the occasion.

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Apr 24
So, this thing was filthy, inside and out. The only computer I've ever worked on that was filthier than this one was the Commodore 64 that was in the partially-collapsed barn, and you'd be hard pressed to make anything dirtier than that was. I am pleased with the results though, the cleanup (both inside and out) was relatively painless and straightforward.

The case is very, very yellow. After all the cleanup I'm sure it's just UV light yellowing, so a run of Retrobright might improve things. I'm on the fence with whether it's warranted though, my days to Retrobright each season are limited, and I've got many more machines in far worse shape than this. I guess we'll see what happens when we get a little closer to the hot days of summer.

The keyboard suffered some damage, though it's thankfully not visible. I get the feeling something (I'm guessing a can of something based on the shape) was set on the keyboard for a long time, which means that between the "G" and "K" keys the board does not work nearly as well as the rest do. It is functional, just not nearly as smooth as the others. Not a dealbreaker for what I have in mind for the system, but still worth mentioning.

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Apr 24
Finally, here's a map!

A few things to glean from this board is that it is an early, unmodified board. It has the initial "255" ROM, which has external floppy boot support, but limited diagnostics. This can be fixed with an eprom, but it's not really a priority for me. Another point that dates this board is the area highlighted with the red circle- that's the serial communications regulator, a TTL chip that formed something of a bottleneck on these machines. Apple would fix this with a quartz crystal unit and a jumper lead, which leads me to the conclusion that this machine is both an early model, and that it's never been serviced by Apple or any of their authorized dealers. As this would only be a hangup for something like a hard drive, I'm not going to worry about it.

What do I have in mind for this machine? Well, games of course! The IIc is great because it's basically an Apple II3 system, but in a smaller footprint with the floppy drive built in. When the pandemic is over and the club can start holding "Open House" events again, I'm excited to add this machine to the lineup as it's a great example of both old Apple computers, and old "portable" computers of the pre-laptop era as we know it today. I think people will dig it!

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Apr 24
Oh, and no, I still haven't done anything with that monitor. It's in a basement halfway across the state, and I still don't know what I want to do with it when I do get my hands on it again.
advertisement