Amiga Haul (Performa) | Forum

advertisement
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 17
I recently bought out a former Amiga operator who had himself bought out the remnants of a Commodore repair shop in the late 1990's. The volume of parts I acquired in the deal is staggering, and it will take some time just to get a handle on what I even have.

Once that is done, I'll begin documenting the system(s) I have, and the process to get them running again here. Stay tuned! 

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 21
A quick picture of what's in progress. 

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23
So, I'd usually call on help for this sort of thing, but thanks to the Coronavirus, I won't be travelling or meeting up with anyone, and the planned club meetings are all off for the foreseeable future. As such, I've been more or less on my own for this one. I've never "rebuilt" an Amiga 1000 before- all of my experience is with 500 which is a wildly different architecture. All the same, I managed to find a video on YouTube where a gentleman was kind enough to show off a model without the RF shield in place, and from there I was able to work out how everything else needed to be connected. So far, so good.

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23
Excuse the ugly background, I'm currently working off of an improvised workbench in my living room.

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23

There's what it looks like with the RF shield on it. Commodore was pretty well known to go a little crazy with their RF shielding back in the day.

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23
As I have none of the correct screws to actually put this unit together (again, coronavirus), so I've improvised with packing tape for the time being. 

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23
After that was done, I cleaned up the keyboard, and I regret I don't have a good "before" picture on that, as it was pretty dirty. It looks pretty good now though I think!

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23
I will make a note here, on the arrow keys, I wonder if that's the correct orientation? This is how the keyboard was, but it looks... off? Like the left and right arrow keys should be oriented towards the top of the key cap, not the bottom? I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking it.
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23
So, here's the finished setup with a "matching" Amiga monitor. 

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Mar 23
Finally, up and running. It does load to the Kickstart screen, but does not read any of the disks I have. It is entirely possible that the Kickstart disks I have are not compatible with the chipset I've cobbled together here, and I'll likely need to work with someone on that front at the next meeting. Whenever that is. 

What you see on the monitor is not a camera glitch- the screen was "rolling" the image the whole time. I swapped the Amiga monitor out for the TV I usually use for old gear, and the image came in just fine, no flickering or shaking at all.

The monitor is banging on 30 years old at least, so it's possible it's developed a problem of some sort. I'll be sure to explore that when I have access to more of my tools again.

For now though, I've got an Amiga 1000 that "fires up" and that's a win in my book. I'll update this thread when I've got screws to hold it together, and hopefully some manner of software it'll accept to actually run. Until then, thanks for reading!

advertisement