NECCO to close down for good? | Forum

advertisement
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Apr 14
News outlets have been screaming about another iconic American snack food that may be going away, this time NECCO, the "New England Confection Company" which makes the "Original" (and only) Candy Wafers.

A staple candy of yesteryear, NECCO was the only maker of candy wafers, and one of the very few that still made "Candy Buttons" with the paper backing. They were also responsible for Clark Bars, Mary Jane bites (which are not what most people seem to think they are), Squirrel Nut Zippers (Arguably the greatest name for a candy ever), and SKY bars, which are totally ingenious and I will genuinely miss when they are gone for good.

If you'd like to read more about the panic this has thrown some people into, read HERE.

For a picture of a whole jar of Squirrel Nut Zippers, look below!

Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Apr 14
In my opinion, I'm rather sad to hear that any business is closing down, let alone something as vast and iconic as Necco. Love or hate the wafer candy (I am not a fan myself), they do make conversation hearts which will be sorely missed, and the aforementioned SKY bar.

For the uninitiated, a SKY Bar is a 4-chambered candy bar that featured 4 tasty fillings in one go. They are, or were, pretty good.

Or, perhaps a better photo;

To that end though, I doubt that NECCO is doomed like some are saying. I remember when the bakery union strike shuttered Hostess, threatening the world's supply of Twinkies. Unsurprisingly, a popular and in-demand product will bounce back and find a buyer. While I think NECCO is worried since Nestle is selling off it's candy subsidies rather than buying new ones, I have no doubt that Mondolez or one of the other big food brands will swoop in at the 11th hour to save poor NECCO from disaster. I guess we'll see though. What do YOU think?
Jasper
Jasper Apr 18
The wafers are gross
Maklarr4000
Maklarr4000 Apr 26
Well, it sounds like NECCO might be saved. Their former CEO from 2011-2015, Al Gulachenski, wanted to round up his old team and buy the company out to keep it running. The big hurdle to overcome will be financial- the comapny's alleged price-tag is about $30 million, and the rag-tag group of ousted former executives only have about $10 million, well short of buying it out. Time will tell whether NECCO is saved at the last moment or not, but at least there is hope for all the people that like the wafers.

Story is HERE.
advertisement